Consider these statements, from the release "Violence against women: the world's most widespread and unpunished crime."
- Sex-selective abortions, the killing of babies born female – female infanticide – and fetal neglect have caused clear and shocking disproportions between the sexes. It is estimated that there are between 50 million to 100 million less females on the planet due to sex-selected discrimination and infanticide.
- Of the 2 million children being indentured into sexual servitude, it is estimated that 80% to 90% of them are girls (International Labor Organization, 2000).
- The majority of all incest victims are girls and it is estimated that up to three times more girls are likely to experience sexual abuse than boys during their childhood.
- It is estimated that between 100 million to 140 million girls have undergone some form of genital mutilation.
- The United Nations estimated that an average of five women are killed per day in India by “accidental” fires set by husbands or in-laws whose demands for full payment of the wife’s dowry have not been met.
- “Honor Killings,” executions of women by family members who feel she has in some way dishonored them, oftentimes occur with little or no consequence.
- War rape, used as a systematic weapon, has shattered the lives of millions of women.
- Women form the majority of the world’s poor. Seventy percent of people living in poverty – those surviving on less than $1.00 a day – are women (Center for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces).
- Two-thirds of the world’s illiterate people are women.
- Women own a mere one percent of the world’s land.
- The United Nations Population Fund has posted "16 Forms of Gender Violence & 16 Ways to Stop It."
- The Center for Woman's Global Leadership has a bunch of helpful resources, including a Take Action kit.
- Visit UNIFEM's SAY NO - UNiTE page to find all kinds of ways to get involved.