a lot of flack for celebrating their gold medal win with alcohol and cigars, on the ice, in front of no one but a couple photographers. It's *ridiculous* and frankly, kind of unbelievable. Would it have been better if it hadn't taken place on the ice, but instead in a bar? (And why?) Or if they were men? Anyway, Eye Weekly has a good article, "The case for a women's professional hockey league." The Vancouver Sun writes "Canadian women play hockey like girls in golden performance." (It's not what you think.) At least there won't be a formal investigation. And be sure to check out this lovely satirical piece from The Albatross, "Concern Grows Over Unfairness to Women: In Hockey."
Somehow the fact that as women get older, they have fewer eggs with which to create babies is new news. A couple of really good responses to the topic:
- Feminists for Choice, "Media Again Pushes Women to Reproduce Young."
- The Sexist: "Your Decrepit Ovaries May Be Sabotaging Your Career."
- Small Strokes: "The Baby Boom."
Meanwhile, the EU is working on longer maternity leave time: 20 weeks, with pay. And while that's happening, Nicaragua is denying a pregnant woman the cancer treatment she needs because it might harm the fetus. Somehow I think her death would harm the fetus, too. For a good roundup of abortion-related news, check out Antonia Zerbisias' Broadsides column, this ABC story from Nebraska, "Proposed Abortion Bill Focused on When Fetus Feels Pain," and this Washington Post story: "Minnesota abortion provider helps meet need in South Dakota."
This week's winners for Most Absurd Claims: GOP House member Trent Franks, says abortion is worse for black people than slavery (see the NYT's story "To Court Blacks, Foes of Abortion Make Racial Case"); Virginia state delegate Bob Marshall says women who have abortions for their first pregnancy are more likely to have disabled children later because God is punishing them; and the editor of the New York Times Book Review says "The Amy Bishop Shootings Prove That Feminists Should Shut Up About Women Being Victims."
In other reading:
- On the heels of the forced blowjob anti-smoking ads from France comes some rather awful ads from Durex.
- The Toronto Star: "Canadian women's rights in decline, report says."
- New York Times: "France May Make Mental Violence a Crime." As in domestic abuse.
- Reuters: "Pentagon OKs lifting ban on women in submarines." About time!
- Slate: "I Should Have Read My Islamic Marriage Contract."
- CNN: "Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ."
- The Smithsonian magazine has a pretty cool article, "How Dolley Madison Saved the Day." (President James Madison's wife, not the snack cake.)
- The New York Times writes about "cellar door."