Natalie Randolph was just named the head coach of a high school football team in D.C. She isn't the first, per se, but this is so rare that most people wouldn't even consider the possibility of a woman being head coach of a high school football team. She sounds well-qualified: She was a "wide receiver for the D.C. Divas women's pro football team and a standout sprinter and hurdler at the University of Virginia. She has experience coaching boys, having been an assistant football coach for Washington's H.D. Woodson High School in 2006 and 2007." And she's just 29 years old. (Another story here.)
And while I'm not really a racing fan, this is cool, too: Four women will start in today's IndyCar Series race, the season opener. They are Danica Patrick, Milka Duno, Simona de Silvestro and Ana Beatriz Figueiredo. This is a first; previously, three women had started in the same race. Congrats and well wishes to all of these women.
In other reading:
- The Guardian: "In pursuit of flexible working." Yes please.
- The Abortioneers: "Sad Times," about the unsafe, unsanitary clinic in Pennsylvania that was closed.
- Slate: "Black Death: The selective crusade against black women's abortions." From the article: "But there's something odd about the billboards. The child who appears beside the text is fully born. Abortion doesn't kill such children. What kills them, all too often, is shooting."
- The Washington Post: "D.C. to be first U.S. city to give away free female condoms to fight HIV/AIDS." This is a great idea.
- The New York Times: "The world's best countries for women."
- The Economist: "The war on baby girls: Gendercide."
- Feminists for Choice: "A woman that deserves a year-long celebration." (It's Margaret Fuller!)
- CBS News: "Trouble for Mitt Romney? Mass. Health Plan Covers Abortion"
- Gender Across Borders: "Who Defines “Family Values?"
- Time Magazine: "Sexual Assaults on Female Soldiers: Don't Ask, Don't Tell." I hate that these women are fighting for our country, and our country doesn't fight for them.
- Hurriyet Daily News: "Afghan women’s rights trampled despite new law."
- Merced Sun Star: "UAE's model behavior on women's rights."
- AP: "Minority births on track to outnumber white births."
- Quad-City Times: "Iowa House bans guns after domestic abuse convictions."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "Study finds median wealth for single black women at $5."
- New York Times: "Panel Urges New Look at Caesarean Guidelines."
- Salon: "How lesbians 'ruined' prom."
- The Scavenger: "Sex not specified: Australia leads the way with legal document."
- RH Reality Check: "Banning Abortion: The First Step Toward Theocracy."