Utilizing social media is another effective way to participate in the SAAM Day of Action. Who doesn't have 30 seconds to change their Facebook status to a message of sexual assault awareness or to tweet rape statistics? If you have a blog or other website, RAINN has a variety of multimedia tools (banners, videos, etc) that you can add. Speaking of RAINN, SAAM is the perfect time to give: during the month of April, every dollar donated will be matched, up to $25,000. Why not spread the word tomorrow and see how much you and your Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/etc friends can raise?via):
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).
- 17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.
- 9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003.
- While about 80% of all victims are white, minorities are somewhat more likely to be attacked.
- About 3% of American men — or 1 in 33 — have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12.
- 7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.
- 93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker.
Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.Anyone is welcome to repost this in its entirety. Spread the word to help put an end to sexual assault!
Here's the math. According to the U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey -- the country's largest and most reliable crime study -- there were 248,300 sexual assaults in 2007 (the most recent data available).
There are 525,600 minutes in a non-leap year. That makes 31,536,000 seconds/year. So, 31,536,000 divided by 248,300 comes out to 1 sexual assault every 127 seconds, or about 1 every 2 minutes.
- April awareness: Sexual assault and child abuse
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Statistics
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Actions