column, the author of which says that Thomas is a "nasty piece of work and has been a nasty piece of work for decades" .... and then offers one piddly example to back up such an outrageous claim. Surely if she's so "nasty" there would be all sorts of examples of how and why? Then I see people talking about how she's a reporter and she can't be biased and be a reporter (like the video link above says) ... except she's been a columnist for what, a decade now, give or take? Columnists are not reporters. Columnists get paid for their opinions. Just so we're clear. (Also? This business about complaining about her front row seat? You all sound like petulant children. Except worse.)
Here's how I'm seeing this right about now: one hateful comment basically gets Thomas fired. Many, many hateful comments lead to millions of dollars and contract after contract for Beck, Limbaugh, Savage, Hannity, Buchanan, etc. Why is that? What is the difference between saying the Jews should get out of Palestine and saying the (black) President of the United States is akin to Hitler? Is it who's saying it? Is it who it offends?
In any case, I do hope that we can all pay tribute to Thomas' Career Before the Comment, because it is a career worth celebrating. In her career, which started almost 70 years ago, Thomas:
- Served for fifty-seven years as a correspondent
- Was White House bureau chief for United Press International for more than 25 years
- Thomas covered every president of the United States since the later years of the Eisenhower administration
- Was the first female officer of the National Press Club
- Was the first female member and president of the White House Correspondents Association
- Was the first female member of the Gridiron Club
- Has written five books
- Was the only female print journalist to travel to China with President Richard Nixon during his historic trip in 1972.
- Glenn Greenwald: "Our hard-core, adversarial press corps."
- The Washington Post has a photo gallery of Thomas' career.
- The War Room: "The right's Helen Thomas hypocrisy." (This is excellent)
- The Moderate Voice: "Helen Thomas to retire," a round-up of reactions.
- Media Matters: "Time for Pat Buchanan to retire, too." This is a new article, but not new news in that people have been calling for this for a while. Rightfully so.
- Media Matters: "So when is Ari Fleischer going to call for the firing of Limbaugh and Beck?"
- Broadsheet: "Helen Thomas: Our heroes are human."