Editor's note: Just to let everyone know that I'm not ignoring the story, I'm not going to be including any articles about the shooting in Arizona that happened Saturday, in which U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head, and in which six people were killed, including a federal judge. I'm waiting to see what news comes out of this before including it in my blog, and it's possible that the story will warrant an entirely separate post this coming week. I do want to say that I'm still in shock about what happened, that it both frightens and saddens me, and that all those affected are in my thoughts.
In other news:
- There are quite a few articles this week about the new Congress, which, according to an article on RH Reality Check, is the "is the most anti-choice ever." Also check out "Ready to Fight Boehner’s Anti-Choice Agenda" on Change.org, and "Speaker Boehner Takes Office; Reproductive Rights at Risk" on Hello Ladies.
- US News & World Report: "Supreme Court's Scalia Says Discrimination Is Constitutional." Change.org has an interesting take on this: "Justice Scalia Revitalizes Equal Rights Amendment Movement."
- Tristate.com: "Planned Parenthood Under Fire from Lawmaker." From the article: "Indiana U.S. Representative Mike Pence has introduced a bill that would cut millions in federal funding to Planned Parenthood nationwide."
- Change.org: "Victory in New Jersey: Governor Signs Nation's Toughest Anti-Bullying Law."
- Associated Press: "Calif. woman who killed pimp granted clemency." This is good news.
- Think Progress: "Kentucky Law Would Force Women To See Ultrasound Images Before Abortion Procedures."
- New York Times: "The Study of Man (or Males)." You guessed it, men's studies vs. male studies. Ugh.
- Gender Across Borders: "Work-Life Imbalance: The Struggles of Women in Cyprus."
- New York Times: "Under Siege in War-Torn Somalia, a Doctor Holds Her Ground." Do read this when you have time.
- Change.org: "Doctors Abuse Patients with Intersex Conditions."
- Change.org: "The Pop Luck Club Launches Ad Campaign Promoting Gay Fatherhood."
- Hello Ladies: "Domestic Violence: Kay’s Story." I think a trigger warning is appropriate here, but it's worth reading if you can.
- The Guardian: "The battle for equal opportunities still needs fighting." I like the sub-head of this: "Inequality between the sexes is not a big deal any more, a new study tells us. That is only true if you are happy for women to have less than men."
- The Independent: "Joan Smith: How about telling men, not women, to stay indoors?"
- CBS News: "Gay Activist Slain, Castrated in N.Y.C. Hotel."
- Pop Matters: "The Best Female Film Performances of 2010." Agree with the list: Disagree?
- Change.org: "Vogue Paris Thinks Little Girls Are Sexy." There is a petition at the link. Also check out Tom & Lorenzo's take on these photos.
- After Ellen: "Beth Ditto talks about her upcoming memoir 'Coal to Diamonds.'"