- Christian Science Monitor: "Geraldine Ferraro: V.P. candidate inspired a generation of women." Ferraro died on Saturday. She was the vice presidential candidate in the 1984 election on the Democratic ticket. I realize this was before many younger feminists' time, so to speak, so please, if you aren't familiar with what all Ferraro did in her life, read this obit to get an idea of what an accomplished woman she was and how she fought for women's rights.
- MSNBC: "Pregnant woman who ate rat poison charged." That is, "An Indianapolis woman who tried to commit suicide by eating rat poison near the end of her pregnancy was charged with murder in the death of her baby." This is extremely problematic. If you want, you can sign a petition at Change.org to have charges against this woman dropped.
- Caller.com: "Sonogram bill is a misapplication of government." This is an editorial about the bill in Texas.
- The Nation: "This Just In: Women Are Not All Pacifists." In case you haven't heard, "ballbreaking women are ganging up on a weak president" and that's basically why the US intervened in Libya. As the author of this column, Katha Pollitt, points out, "Misogyny—it’s the last acceptable prejudice of the left." Also check out ...
- AlterNet: "CNN Contributor Goes on Sexist Rant, Compares Women in Obama Administration to Bad 'Women Drivers.'"
- New York Times: "Libyan Woman Struggles to Tell Media of Her Rape." If you can, I highly suggest reading this.
- The National: "The women fighting, organising, feeding and healing Libya’s revolution."
- The Wonk Room: "At Least Five Babies Have Died Since Nebraska Denied Undocumented Mothers Prenatal Care."
- Workers World: "Women hit hardest by global crisis, attacks on public sector unions."
- Slash Film: "On Zack Snyder’s 'Sucker Punch': Why Ass-Kicking and Empowering Aren’t Always the Same Thing." I really love the ending of this article: "If you want to revel in two hours of hot chicks in skimpy clothing fighting dragons and undead Nazis and shit, that’s your prerogative. Have fun with that, and enjoy it for what it is. But please don’t pretend I should be celebrating it."
- No More Lost: "'Straight Male Gamer' told to 'get over it' by BioWare." Good on BioWare for this, and for making the women in Dragon Age characters that I have no problems playing as.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Just a quick reminder, you can submit links for this column via e-mail at rosiered23 (at) sparecandy (dot) com, and you can catch up with Spare Candy on Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr as well. Or! Leave a link in the comments! Self-promotion is perfectly acceptable here.