- Bikyamasr: "Egypt woman activist announces presidential candidacy." Bothaina Kamel (pictured) is the first woman ever to announce her candidacy for Egypt’s highest office. I suspect she has a long road ahead of her, and I wish her all the best.
- Think Progress: "Idaho Rejects Rape Exception In Abortion Bill Because 'The Hand Of The Almighty' Was At Work." With apologies, I have to ask ... what kind of God PLANS for you to be raped? I mean really, I can at least understand the argument that a fetus is a fetus, even if it was conceived in rape, and that no fetus should be aborted. But to say that God PLANNED for you to be raped? Come on.
- Mother Jones: "Indiana Shoots Down Rape/Incest Abortion Exceptions." Hmm, I think I spot a trend! See also:
- Death + Taxes: "Indiana Says That People Will Pretend To Get Raped In Order To Get An Abortion."
- AlterNet: "10 States With the Most Shocking Anti-Woman Legislation."
- RH Reality Check: "All Those Alternatives to Planned Parenthood? In Texas, At Least, They Don't Exist."
- San Jose Mercury News: "No defendants found liable in De Anza rape trial, no damages awarded." Please also check out The Curvature's "An Open Letter to the De Anza Rape Victim."
- Metro UK: "Cyber sex pervert ‘seduced by girl, 13’ freed." As in "A judge allowed cyber sex pervert David Barnes to walk free from court after accepting the man was ‘seduced’ by a 13-year-old girl."
- Slate: "Cruel but Not Unusual: Clarence Thomas writes one of the meanest Supreme Court decisions ever." I'm including this because for sure people in the U.S. should know about their Supreme Court justices.
- Forbes: "The Woman Behind ‘The Hunger Games’ Movies." I know there is controversy about the casting decisions for these movies, but this article is pretty good.
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Just a quick reminder, you can submit links for this column via e-mail at rosiered23 (at) sparecandy (dot) com, and you can catch up with Spare Candy on Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr as well. Or! Leave a link in the comments! Self-promotion is perfectly acceptable here.